Learn how to draw a Unicorn with this easy step by step tutorial. It’s perfect for those that want to draw the entire body, including a candy colored mane and horn.
Technically, a unicorn is a mythical, usually white animal generally with the body and head of a horse and a long flowing mane and tail. A single often spiraled horn is in the middle of the forehead.
Realistically though, unicorns something showing up all over children’s lives these days, thanks to a fascination with these creatures. Many can’t seem to get enough, and so they are found on clothes, in books, in TV shows and probably many birthday parties too.
Now, if children want to draw more than just a Unicorn Head, this new tutorial will help them do just that. The horse-like body is simplified to keep things easy for young artists. And the mane and tail are drawn with curly segments so children can have fun filling them with lots of colors.
Older students or those with an eye for detail will have fun adding some shadows to their white unicorn body too. Turns out that light gray Crayola® crayon that seems to have almost no pigment at all, is perfect for adding shadows to white shapes. It adds a subtle gray that never gets too dark, no matter how hard you press down with it. See? Who says you need paint to learn about shading?
- How to Draw a Unicorn (click to download a PDF)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 35 minutes.
How to Draw a Unicorn
- Start with a simple curved belly shape.
- Add a simple head shape on top.
- Draw an ear and mane on either side
- Erase the inside, and add another mane section.
- Draw the inside mane lines, horn and face.
- Add a front and back leg.
- Erase gray lines, add back legs, and tail
- Add lines to the tail and a background sky.
- Trace with marker and color.