Learn how to draw a dragon head with this easy step by step tutorial. The profile view lets you see him in all his spiky beauty.
If drawing the entire body of some cool creature seems a little intimidating, or if you haven’t had a lot of practice, then why not focus on just their head and face?
This dragon has plenty of details to give him a fierce look, without the worry of how to get legs and a long tail to fit in too. Besides, if you ask me, their eyes are some of the most fun to draw, and this one is nice and large because of the close up view. You can even try to leave that little white reflection shape inside, just like the pros do!
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Dragon Head Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw a Dragon Head
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Directions for How to Draw a Dragon Head
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw a Dragon Head
- Fold paper to get lines shown. Draw two curves.
- Continue the top of the head.
- Continue the cheek lines.
- Add the mouth and lips.
- Draw the nose, eye, ear and cheek.
- Draw a long horn.
- Add the inside neck line.
- Finish with spikes.
- Trace with a marker and color.