Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a house and a house Coloring Page. It has some charming details that are easy to draw.
One of the first things that kids learn how to draw is a house, and those first ones are really about just putting simple shapes together. Like a triangle roof on a square home. That’s a time of experimenting and trying to remember all the things they know they sometimes see in houses. Windows, doors and chimneys and more, but usually in a one-dimensional way.
When students have conquered all those details, and want to try to make their house look more 3D, then this tutorial might be fun for them. The side angles back a bit to give the house some form, and the roof has added dormer windows that are easy to draw if you have an example to follow.
Pin me to your Pinterest Board!
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
House Coloring Page
Materials to Draw a House
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions to Draw a House
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw a House
- Draw a rectangle.
- Add a slanted roof and side of the house.
- Draw the dormers and roof line details.
- Add an edge to the roof line.
- Erase lines and draw windows and chimney.
- Draw a center door and two windows.
- Add scallop texture lines to the roof.
- Finish with the bushes and a sidewalk.
- Trace with a marker and color.