Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Prairie Dog and a Prairie Dog Coloring Page. They do have some of the cutest faces around!
Here’s an easy way to learn how to draw a prairie dog, which is pretty much a cousin of the squirrel that might be found in your back yard. Their heads look a lot alike, that’s for sure.
This step by step tutorial shows how to draw a pose that is called a three quarter view. It’s when someone or something is turned just a bit to one side. Many portraits are drawn that way, so I guess you could say this is one way to draw a portrait of a prairie dog!
For the best results, point out to your students that these animals, much like squirrels, have a lighter colored belly. A good plan to create that is to have them color harder on the right side of the body, to get a darker shade of their brown color.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Prairie Dog Coloring Page
Prairie Dog Tracing Page
Materials to draw a Prairie Dog
- Black Sharpie Marker (affiliate link)
- Prang Crayons (affiliate link)
- Crayola Crayons (affiliate link)
Step by Step Directions for a Prairie Dog Drawing
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to draw a Prairie Dog Easy
- Draw the top of the head.
- Continue the body below.
- Add the bottom belly lines.
- Draw the mouth, eye and ear.
- Add two arms.
- Draw two feet underneath.
- Add a tail and some fur lines.
- Finish with a hill and a sky.
- Trace with a marker and color.