Learn how to draw an Owl with this easy step by step tutorial. Add a spooky tree and full moon for a fun Halloween drawing.
This owl tutorial will show students how to draw a more realistic owl, without getting too lost in the details. In fact, it’s really more of a silhouette that includes the ears, bumpy feathers on the wing, and pretty scallops on the end of the tails. Color him a pretty brown, OR fill him in black like the tree for a more spooky look.
Drawing Tip of the Day: Remind students to not take any shortcuts on drawing the tree branches. There needs to be quite a few of them, with very curvy shapes so they look old. They are half the fun of the drawing!
- How to Draw an Owl (click to download a PDF)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 45 minutes.
- Draw an upside down U shape.
- Add a bumpy side on the right.
- Add a bumpy side on the left.
- Draw eyes, nose, ears and tail.
- Add two feet in front of the body.
- Start the tree on the left.
- Draw a branch under the body.
- Erase lines, add a branch, moon.
- Trace with a marker and color.