Learn how to draw Godzilla with this easy step by step tutorial. His ferocious details are simplified a bit so younger fans can draw him too.
Drawing a classic version of Godzilla has usually been saved for older artists, unless of course you simplify him to death for younger ones. What’s the point though of drawing a fierce monster that in the end looks more like a generic dinosaur?
This tutorial starts with a simple oval, and then shows students how to add his roaring mouth, clawed hands, and very muscular legs and tail. Godzilla needs to have a very large, heavy, strong look if he is even going to have a chance to get through all those epic battles.
Getting Started with Drawing Guides
The best way to get students off to a good start to any drawing lesson is to show them how to use guides as a reference point.
You may have noticed that all of the tutorials on this site have a dashed line running through the center of each step, in both horizontal and vertical directions. If students make their own centered lines on their own paper, before drawing, they will have an easy reference to follow.
Drawing skills are all about getting the size and placement of lines on paper, so having some visual reference point to get started, will always help anyone learn how to be a little more accurate.
So does that mean students need to get out a ruler to draw a big fat line down the center of their paper before they start? Goodness no, please don’t! That will most likely be hard to erase and distract from any finished art. No, simply fold the sheet of paper in half both ways, make a crease, and unfold. The beauty is that by the time the drawing is done and colored in, the creases will disappear.
And now, on to the Godzilla drawing project.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Pin me to your Pinterest Board!
Godzilla Coloring Page
Materials for a Godzilla Drawing
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions for Godzilla Drawing
Time needed: 45 minutes
How to Draw Godzilla
- Draw an oval.
- Start the head as shown.
- Add the mouth and face details.
- Draw a tongue and two arms.
- Add finger details and a long tail.
- Attach two legs below.
- Add toe details and spikes on the back.
- Erase grey lines and add a skyline.
- Trace with marker and color.