Learn how to draw SpongeBob, the star of Nickelodeon’s show SpongeBob SquarePants, with a step by step tutorial.
Did you know that SpongeBob SquarePants, an American animated comedy television series was created by a former marine science educator?
Stephen Hillenburg was born in Lawton, Oklahoma, in 1961. He graduated from Humboldt State University in 1984 with a degree in natural resource planning and became a marine biology teacher in Dana Point, California. In 1987, he pursued a career in animation and graduated with an experimental animation degree from the California Institute of Arts in Valencia in 1992.
The following year, he began working as a writer and director on Nickelodeon’s “Rocko’s Modern Life.” Stephen went on to work for the network full-time, producing his animated series that eventually became “SpongeBob SquarePants,” which debuted on May 1, 1999.
This tutorial will help young fans of SpongeBob draw him with all his goofy details. It helps to start with straight lines for the basic form, and then adding the wavy edges, so students get the best spongey-looking results.
- How to Draw SpongeBob SquarePants (click to download a PDF)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw SpongeBob SquarePants
- Start the sponge drawing with a rectangle.
- Add the side of the rectangle.
- Extend the bottom for the shape of the pants.
- Draw the eyes and a mouth.
- Add the teeth, nose and the round texture shapes.
- Draw the wavy lines and the tie and belt shapes.
- Erase the straight lines and add the legs and shoes.
- Add the arms and a background horizon line.
- Trace with marker and color.