Yayoi Kusama is a Japanese artist who is famous for her polka dot art. Learn how to draw Yayoi with her distinctive and colorful look.
Yayoi Kusama (born 1929) is a Japanese contemporary artist who works primarily in sculpture and installation, but is also active in painting, performance, film, fashion, poetry, fiction, and other arts. Her work is based in conceptual art and shows some attributes of feminism, minimalism, surrealism, pop art, and abstract expressionism.
Since the 1970s, Kusama has continued to create art, most notably installations in various museums around the world. She has been acknowledged as one of the most important living artists to come out of Japan.
This tutorial will help fans of Yayoi draw her likeness in her very distinct style of bright hair and dot-patterned clothes. Now book reports can get a colorful portrait drawing of Yayoi to go with them!
- Draw Yayoi Kusama PDF Tutorial (click to open)
- Drawing paper
- Black Sharpie, fine tip
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw Yayoi
- Start by drawing the bottom of the face.
- Draw two eyes.
- Add eyebrows and a nose.
- Draw a mouth.
- Start the inside hair line.
- Add the outside hair line.
- Erase gray line and draw the shoulders.
- Add large circles and the block letter name above.
- Trace with a marker and color.