Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Bee and a Bee Coloring Page. Students will remember all those body parts a bit better if they draw them from scratch.
You could have your students fill in labels on boring worksheets, OR you could have them learn how to draw a bee from scratch so they have to create all those body parts themselves. When they are asked to draw a “thorax” and “abdomen” themselves, they are much more likely to remember which part is which. That’s also true for recalling how many legs they have.
This bee also doubles as a good lesson in symmetry, as the right and left side should match each other. The thorax and abdomen are fairly easy to do, but those bent legs are a little more challenging. If fact, if anyone is struggling with them, I recommend that the end feet are ignored. A leg with one bend will look just fine too.
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Save me to your Pinterest Board!
Bee Coloring Page
Materials to Draw a Bee
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions
Time needed: 45 minutes
How to Draw a Bee in 9 Easy Steps
- Draw the thorax.
- Add the head and two large eyes.
- Erase inside the eyes. Draw the abdomen.
- Draw two symmetrical wings.
- Add two pairs of symmetrical back legs.
- Draw front legs and antennae.
- Add veins to the wings.
- Draw stripes on the thorax and abdomen.