Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Minion and a Minion Coloring Page. Minions are fictional yellow creatures that appear in the Despicable Me franchise.
Instead of providing coloring pages of your student’s favorite cartoons, why not have them make their own? Even very simple projects, like this How to draw a Minion tutorial, will give them some good basic drawing practice. Minions are made from large easy shapes, so even beginner artists can draw a character just like the ones they see in their popular Minion movies.
Once students feel comfortable drawing this guy as shown here, they can make more versions with different poses, and doing different things. Every cartoon artist started somewhere.
Getting Started with Drawing Guides
The best way to get students off to a good start to any drawing lesson is to show them how to use guides as a reference point.
You may have noticed that all of the tutorials on this site have a dashed line running through the center of each step, in both horizontal and vertical directions. If students make their own centered lines on their own paper, before drawing, they will have an easy reference to follow.
Drawing skills are all about getting the size and placement of lines on paper, so having some visual reference point to get started, will always help anyone learn how to be a little more accurate.
So does that mean students need to get out a ruler to draw a big fat line down the center of their paper before they start? Goodness no, please don’t! That will most likely be hard to erase and distract from any finished art. No, simply fold the sheet of paper in half both ways, make a crease, and unfold. The beauty is that by the time the drawing is done and colored in, the creases will disappear.
Preview of the step by step Minion drawing tutorial
Minion Coloring Page
Minion Tracing Page
Materials for Minions Drawing
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. Don’t waste your money on the cheapest brand. These make nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. The perfect medium size tip marker for tracing.
- Crayons. I like this non-toxic brand that is made from beeswax, not petroleum by-products.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions for Minion Drawing
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Minion
- Draw two touching circles.
- Add the top of the body.
- Draw the bottom of the body.
- Add glasses and hair.
- Draw the mouth and start the overalls.
- Finish the bib and straps.
- Start two arms.
- Add gloves and feet. Draw a grassy background.
- Trace with a marker and color.