Learn how to draw an easy hot air balloon with this step by step tutorial. It shows students how to get those curved lines in the right places.
Hot air balloon drawing projects show with just a few moves, how to make a flat circle take on the look of a round ball. The vertical lines that go from the top to the bottom do the trick, and when curved and spread out, make the flat circle SHAPE suddenly looks like it has FORM. Bright colors in those stripes will enhance the look even more.
Anyone who has seen photos of hot air balloon festivals know that they are made with many, many different designs on them, so students should feel free to custom design their own. I just recommend that they start with the stripes shown here to first get their 3D look in place, and then take off from there. (Pun intended.)
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Easy Hot Air Balloon Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw a Hot Air Balloon
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw a Hot Air Balloon
Time needed: 25 minutes.
How to Draw a Hot Air Balloon
- Draw (or trace) a large circle.
- Add the balloon opening at the bottom.
- Attach a basket.
- Draw a curved vertical stripe.
- Draw another stripe on either side.
- Add two curved horizontal lines.
- Add decorative scallops.
- Finish the basket and add a sky.
- Trace with marker and color.