Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Hot Air Balloon and a Hot Air Balloon Coloring Page. For more of a challenge, try drawing three of them!
Learning how to draw a hot air balloon is an easy way to show students how, with just a few lines, to make a flat circle look like a round ball. The vertical lines that go from the top to the bottom do the trick, and when curved and spread out, make the flat circle SHAPE suddenly looks like it has FORM. Bright colors in those stripes will enhance the look even more.
Anyone who has seen photos of hot air balloon festivals know that they are made with many, many different designs on them, so students should feel free to custom design their own. I just recommend that they start with the stripes shown here to first get their 3D look in place, and then take off from there.
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Easy Hot Air Balloon Coloring Page
Draw Three Hot Air Balloons!
Hot Air Balloons Coloring Page
Hot Air Balloon Materials
- Prang Crayons (affiliate link)
- Crayola Crayons (affiliate link)
Step by Step Directions for Hot Air Balloon
Time needed: 25 minutes.
Draw an Easy Hot Air Balloon
- Draw (or trace) a large circle.
- Add the balloon opening at the bottom.
- Attach a basket.
- Draw a curved vertical stripe.
- Draw another stripe on either side.
- Add two curved horizontal lines.
- Add decorative scallops.
- Finish the basket and add a sky.
- Trace with marker and color.