Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial video for how to draw Corn and a Corn coloring page. The trick is to start with a grid so you can line up all those kernels in neat and order rows.
Drawing of an Ear of Corn
Draw Corn Tutorial Video
Fall art brings a new palette of colors, and there’s nothing like drawing an ear of corn to include as many in one place as possible. All those colorful little kernels look amazing, especially when they all line up in nice an even rows.
But rather than just drawing lots and lots of little squares, OR drawing just a quick grid, this tutorial will show students how to do a little of each. By creating a light grid to plan the rows first, and then filling them with rounded kernel shapes, they are guaranteed to have a very orderly ear of corn when they are done.
Another tip? If you need some large size decorations for an event, say a fall festival, try this drawing process on a long sheet of butcher paper. A few black Sharpies and crayons can do some amazing things together!
Why Draw with Guides?
You may have noticed that all of the tutorials on this website have a dashed vertical line and horizontal line running through the center of each step. If students make their own centered lines on their own paper, before drawing, they will have an easy reference to follow. All they need to do is fold their sheet of paper in half both ways, make a crease, and unfold. The best part is, by the time the drawing is done and colored in, the creases will have disappeared!
Join “The Daily Draw” below to get this free download!
Corn Coloring Page
Make a Large Scale Harvest Banner
Materials for How to Draw Corn on the Cob
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw Corn
Time needed: 45 minutes
How to Draw Corn
- Draw the basic cob shape.
- Start drawing the husks above.
- Add more husks to layer them.
- Lightly draw three vertical lines.
- DrW horizontal lines to make grid.
- Fill with rounded squares.
- Erase the grid lines.
- Color the space between kernels.
- Trace with marker and color.
Already subscribed to “The Daily Draw”?
Great, then use the download button below to get your free Corn tutorial. And thanks for wanting to bring more step-by-step, no-prep art lessons to your classroom!