Here’s how to draw a Giraffe head when you need it to really look like a giraffe head. A step by step tutorial makes it easy to do.
If your students are learning about (or are just fascinated by) giraffes, then drawing a portrait of one is a fun way to share your appreciation. Getting the shape of that rather odd shaped head though, takes a little bit of care as the horns and wide eyes and wide mouth really look like no other animal.
This step by step tutorial will help students get the all important head shape in place first, and then demonstrate how to draw the large eyes, ears and nose. None of the steps are very complex, but getting things in the right place, in the right proportions, makes a big difference.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Giraffe Head Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw a Giraffe Head
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Directions for How to Draw a Giraffe Head
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw a Giraffe Head
- Draw a large U for the mouth.
- Add the nostrils on the top.
- Start the sides of the head.
- Angle in and draw up for horns.
- Finish the symmetrical horns.
- Draw the large eyes.
- Add ears and neck.
- Add patterns and background.
- Trace with marker and color.