A cute snowman drawing doesn’t have to be small and flat. With a little help, it can look round and dimensional.
Get your students off to a quick start by tracing an old CD to get a nice round circle. It happens to be the perfect size for your average sheet of drawing paper. How can you draw a cute smiling face if you don’t have enough room for it, right?
After the head and body are drawn, add the snowman accessories with lots of curves and ovals as shown in my tutorial. Doing so will make the top hat look like a tube and the scarf look like something that is wrapped around his body, and not just stuck in front.
If those dimensional drawing tips came easy to you, try adding some shadows on the sides and edges. You might be surprised just how round your snowman will become.
• Cute Snowman Drawing (click to open PDF)
• Colored cardstock paper
• Old CD, for tracing
• Oil pastels
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Cute Snowman
- Trace something round for the head.
- Draw the scarf and shoulders.
- Add ends to the scarf.
- Erase scarf lines and start the hat.
- Add an oval to the hat.
- Draw the brim around the hat.
- Erase some of the head, and add the face.
- Draw a hat bring and sticks for the arms.
- Trace with a marker and fill with oil pastels.