Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Train and a Train Coloring Page. Most train tutorials focus on the old-fashioned ones, the modern versions are fun to draw too.
When learning how to draw a train, the newer and sleeker versions are a lot of fun to draw, and still start with simple shapes. You could get inspired by the familiar Amtrak cars, or even the high-speed trains that are found in other countries.
Either way, this lesson could also be personalized by adding some faces in those windows. It would be and easy way to commemorate a family train trip. TIP: Take advantage of space you’ll have above and below in your train drawing. Adding some larger landscaping in the foreground, and smaller in the background, will add some depth and space to your artwork.
Subscribe to “The Daily Draw” below to get this instant download!
Train Coloring Page
Materials to draw a Train
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions
Time needed: 1 hour
How to Draw a Train for Kids
- Draw two rectangles for the cars.
- Add the front of the train.
- Add the train car doors.
- Draw a series of windows.
- Add lines and connect the cars.
- Add the rails.
- Connect train to rails with lots of wheels.
- Add landscaping to the fore and background.
- Trace with a marker and color.