Here is an adaptation of my popular Abstract Face project for older students. It still has simple features that fill the face, but allows for some personalization with hair and shoulders, etc. I think it might make a good early self portrait project for 3rd, 4th and 5th graders as it bypasses all the fussy eye and mouth details that I see so many students get stuck with.
• View and download Abstract Self Portrait PDF Tutorial
• Multimedia paper
• Sharpie, black, chisel tip
• Liquid watercolor paint
1. Make color print of PDF tutorial. Students follow it to draw their self-portrait in pencil.
2. The drawing is traced with a thick black marker.
3. The face is painted in, changing colors in the closed areas.