Learn how to draw a Car with this easy step by step tutorial. All those simple shapes add up to a classic looking Volkswagon.
Not all drawing projects have to be about flowers or landscapes or people. Some can be about more mechanical things, like buildings or transportation, or more specifically … cars.
You may find you have students that totally yawn at the idea of drawing organic stuff, but are endlessly fascinated with more technical things. It takes a different part of your brain to make things more precise, and more design oriented, so adding these kinds of projects to your curriculum is a great way to appeal to those students too. The world is going to need more smart designers who learn how to improve how we get around in the future too!
Preview of the step by step Easy Car drawing tutorial
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw an Easy Car
- Draw two wheels.
- Add inside circles and a line.
- Draw front and back bumper.
- Draw the car body.
- Add front and back windows.
- Draw two side windows and lights.
- Add bumpers around the wheels.
- Draw a road and a background.
- Trace with marker and color.