This is my go-to art fundraiser idea. I’ve used it for years and often shared finished canvases, but never a full tutorial, so enjoy!
- Stretched canvas (I used 16″ x 20″ for classes of 25)
- Dry wax paper (found at restaurant supply stores, and no, it’s not the same as wax paper)*
- Copy paper
- Sharpie markers, (look for packs with possible skin tones)*
- Copic markers, if needed for more skin tone options
- White glue
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, but at no additional cost to you.
- PREP: Determine the size of the portrait rectangle needed based on number of students and size of the canvas. Print papers with the required rectangle size.
- Students draw themselves in the printed rectangle. A sheet of dry wax is taped over the drawing.
- The drawing is traced with a black Sharpie marker.
- The self portrait is colored in with permanent markers. Once completed, the rectangle art is cut on the borders.
- The self portrait art is decoupaged to the canvas with watery glue. It’s best to get the canvas wet, then the back of the paper wet, then apply and brush the front.
- Smooth all the art frequently with your fingers to get rid of any bubbles.