Looking for abstract self portrait ideas? Try drawing extra large features so you have lots of closed spaces to make different colors. See below for a PDF tutorial you can download.
Instead of getting stuck trying to make the “perfect” eyes or nose or mouth, try generalizing those shapes, so you can spend more time making your hair and clothes just the way you want.
By drawing your face in this manner, you’ll end up with lots of large closed shapes that you can very creatively colored or painted in.
- Abstract Self Portrait PDF Tutorial
- Multimedia paper
- Sharpie, black, chisel tip*
- Liquid watercolor paint*
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
Time needed: 1 hour.
Draw an Abstract Self Portrait
- Make guidelines. Draw a large U shape.
- Start a rectangle for the nose.
- Draw eye curve that connect the two shapes.
- Add two lower eye curves.
- Add inside eyelids and pupils.
- Finish the nose, add a mouth.
- Draw ears, neck and shoulders.
- Finish with your own hair style. Here are some options.
- Trace with marker and paint with lots of different colors.